Dear fifteen year old self,
I have written a few things down from the future and am sending them to you via the internet (dont worry – you will understand what that is all in good time) Keep them safe and know that these things are given to you with hard won wisdoms and that all I want you is for to be happy.
- There is no need to take everything so personally – most of the time it wont be your fault and if it really is then learn from it and move on
- Knowing French will be more useful than quadratic equations
- When you see someone you know on the street – say ‘hi’. Dont think that you are in disguise and that they wont recognise you. Be proud of who you are.
- Cultivate confidence – no one will give it to you. Believe in yourself that you can be a positive influence in peoples lives and a leader in your own life.
- Youre right about boys – theyre not that interesting but they are perplexing. Theyre also not very good at mind reading and despite outward appearances, they can get hurt easily so just remember your manners.Boys are also not the centre of the universe. Have them as friends, learn about their ways but don’t structure your life around trying to figure them out. They are simple creatures but the river also runs deep and you’ve got the rest of your life to grow with them.
- Talk to your parents more and ask them things about their own lives. Be interested in the lives of your grandparents and go and visit them alone sometimes. They have insights that you’ll never read about in books and understanding your ancestors will really help later on when you’re trying to understand who you are and where those annoying traits came from.
- Your brothers are also having a hard time too but they are your allies. Laugh and socialise with them. The age difference might seem like a lot now but you’ll have friends of all different ages one day and youve got a lot more in common with them than you think. And they’re boys and you can learn about the species.
- Understand that learning how to forgive and accept people for who they are will really help your future relationships.
- Open up and dont be afraid to be yourself
Love your older self
Dear older self,
This is me, your younger self. I think you need to remember a few things from when you were 10. Because.
Grade six is tough and making friends is sucky. Trying to please everyone or know who to play with is sort of confusing sometimes. I try to play with lots of people and that seems to work and if I make friends with the mean and popular girls then they dont seem to pick on me. Maybe this will be useful in the future. Maybe you can remember what mum says sometimes – people have good days and bad days so just like them anyway and if they are mean, then go find someone else to share your Fonzies with.